Saturday, April 2, 2011

Book Reading #27: Emotional Design

Chapter 2

Summary:

This chapter discusses the differing needs of the three aspects of emotional design: visceral, behavioral, and reflective. Visceral design has to do with the appearance, touch, and feel of a design. Behavioral design has to do with with performance and functionality of a product. Reflective design aspects are concerned with the meaning and interpretation of a design.

Objects that evoke memory is a way in which a design feature taps into the emotional design process. These include things like souvenirs and photographs. By using certain imagery, companies and manufacturers of products create a personality for designs that are produced, such as using mascots and marketing their product to be identifiable with certain demographics they are targeting their product to.

Discussion:

The visceral impact of a product is often a factor that may leave the greatest lasting impression. A lot of people are enamored with Apple's latests designs even though I have often heard them complain of many of the company's policies. Many examples can be made of a product with an attractive exterior being popular even though the underlying functionality is less than it is perceived that it should be.

Objects that help us to remember past events are popular with our species. Every time I take my family on vacation, I tend to purchase things that help me remember it. I find that I like to have it based on a theme. My wife and I collect shot glasses from places we have visited and then display them on shelves on our walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment